a l l i u m * c e p a

I've been dying (ahah) to dye with onions for a long time, but never got the opportunity. Of course, I don't use tons of onions myself. Some, but not THAT much, not enough for making a proper dye. BUT ... my mother-in-law does use tons of them, she's an amazing cook, and in fact she really uses lots & lots of them. So I asked her two months ago to save me the peels, and that's what she did, religiously. (yes, she's quite awesome & sweet)

she saved them for me

and last week, I had enough to make a good dye.

dyeing with plants // allium cepa

I decided to mordant two pieces of silk, silk yarn, linen, and (new !) a small piece of cotton crochet lace, with alum. Then, I boiled the peels & it gave instantly a powerful dyebath.

dyeing with plants // allium cepa

dyeing with plants // allium cepa
look at that strong bath !
dyeing with plants // allium cepa // results

dyeing with plants // allium cepa // results

I can't believe how well the linen & cotton absorbed !! They didn't bleed that much, and the color is so vibrant, just perfect for autumn season. (which we are NOT, in the northern hemisphere !) I'll keep asking my MIL to save me the peels, and I hope I'll find something good to cook with lots of RED onions, so that I will try a new dye with them ! I'm hopeless, I know. :)

Comments

  1. Caramelised red onion tart would be yummy..

    That colour is so warm and rich. I really must try it.
    I love this blog you have. Seeing the results of your dyeing.
    Would you mind adding more details on dyeing time, etc - as I'm hoping soon to get stuck into it all myself.
    Also, what do you mordant your linens and cottons in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing results - just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do these colors bleed eventually or they stay for long? I wanna try this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time to leave a word or two, I would love to know what you think ! :)