h e l i c h r y s u m * s t o e c h a s

wow, after a couple of months of absence, that's a lot of dyeing happenings ! :D We decided to dye with helichrysum stoechas, that you may know under the name of immortelle, in English or in French. It's a yellow flower, smelling strong like curry (I swear !). They grow wild in the place we visited last weekend (where we picked the Italian buckthorn & white mulberries ... see previous posts).

dyeing with plants // helichrysum stoechas

dyeing with plants // helicrhysum stoechas

immortelle heart

dyeing with plants // helichrysum stoechas

hubby had collected approx. the equivalent of 6 big handfuls (approximately, I say, I didn't count), therefore I didn't dye a big quantity. The dye itself was yellow, and of course DID smell like curry A LOT ! The fabrics did stayed overnight in the dyebath.

dyeing with plants // helichrysum stoechas // the dye itself

helichrysum stoechas staying overnight in the dyebath

helichrysum stoechas staying overnight in the dyebath

and the result is a lovely yellow, I really like it a lot. The Italian buckthorn gave quite a mustardy yellow, and that yellow is a more subtle one. I'll let you judge.

dyeing with plants // helichrysum stoechas // results

dyeing with plants // helichrysum stoechas // results

I tend to think that the final color really looks like the color of the flowers themselves. What do you think ?

for the comparison, here's a photo of the 1st, 2nd & 3rd dyes with Italian buckthorn (rhamnus alaternus) ... and with this very dye with immortelle (helichrysum stoechas)

comparison

thank you very much for stopping by & for reading ! :)

Comments

  1. Hi Sonia! I just found your lovely blog. I have started dyeing fabric but I am experimenting with Rit Dye, which is not nearly as interesting as your beautiful flowers. I am looking forward to reading your other posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sunshine and life
    this post
    and
    you
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time to leave a word or two, I would love to know what you think ! :)