a l l i u m * c e p a ... once again

as I must have told you before, my mother-in-law is a great cook and she uses really lots & lots of onions. (the yellow kind, not the red kind) And I've asked her to save the peels/skins for me, and she gladly does so. (so sweet) Last time I dyed with them was last May, three months ago, and I was eager to do a new bath. I've mordanted silk, linen, silk yarn, cotton crochet lace & vintage + handmade cotton crochet doilies, with alum. Boiled the onion skins/peels, then sank the fibers when ready. I didn't leave overnight, and rinced after a good couple of hours. It did bleed a bunch this time. And believe me or not, but onion skins/peels dye is the one that stain my bath tube the most ! And my nails too.

really, how can you resist getting such a hue with something that anyone can find in the kitchen ?

dyeing with onion skins again

dyeing with onion skins again

dyeing with onion skins again

dyeing with onion skins again

yesterday, I've also dyed with something I picked last week during our three days in the mountains. The result is very interesting, as I hadn't managed to get that precise hue before. Can't wait to show, most probably tomorrow :)

Comments

  1. It's gorgeous. I haven't done onion skins yet though I do have a jar of them in my studio. I'll be dyeing wool and I'm really curious to see the result. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. onion skins are wonderful, both the red and the brown variety - i sometimes visit the onion packers in our region when i need a large quantity, they give me a wool pack [huge bag] full free of charge, saves them disposing of what they call rubbish
    and of course there's always a big collecting bag hanging in the kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such vibrant results Sonia. I've dyed with onions myself but not got such a rich colour. Now I want to do more with onions

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. so very rich and with all the promise of autumn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time to leave a word or two, I would love to know what you think ! :)