8/22/2010

solar dyeing // v a c c i n i u m * m y r t i l l u s

this is it, I rinced that solar dyeing. I've been over my own hopes, and managed to let the jar unopened for 18 days ! (which, I know, may sound ridiculous for some of you)

so the beginning of this solar dyeing was on August 04th, when we were on vacation in local mountains. I had planned to solar dye, so I had mordanted few bits with alum, as usual. I had brought a jar, with the fabrics in it, and filled with water.

what I had in mind was to pick bilberries (the European & Asian species of blueberry), aka vaccinium myrtillus, and crush them with the fabrics, add cold water, close the jar & wait. Well, that's what I did.

vaccinium myrtillus

this photo below was taken half way ... nine days after starting the dye

wild blueberries solar dyeing

and these are the results, 18 days after. I am amazed (why should I be ?!) that silk took so well the color, almost didn't bleed at all, and stayed dark & purple with blue spots ... while the linen & cotton did bleed more, and ended being blue. A lovely blue nontheless !

vaccinium myrtillus solar dyed

vaccinium myrtillus solar dyed

My mom told me she's going to pick (wild) blackberries for me to solar dye with them. I hope she really can because I'm eager to try, although I have already picked something else to dye with, and I hope to do it ASAP.

10 comments:

  1. it is really one of my favorites so far
    i am imagining it combined with the golds and oranges you have made recently
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really beautiful outcome, very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful blue! We went to a U-pick blueberry farm this summer...it was so much fun...they had two varieties of blueberry and it's amazing how differently they tasted. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh it's gorgeous! I'm thinking I need to go back and pick more of the wild grapes I found yesterday... I bet they'd dye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! I know this is kind of off-topic but I had to ask.

    Does running a well-established blog like yours take a massive amount work?
    I am completely new to writing a blog however I do write in my journal on a daily basis.
    I'd like to start a blog so I can share my experience and thoughts online. Please let me know if you have any kind of ideas or tips for brand new aspiring bloggers. Appreciate it!

    Also visit my web site - honda jazz

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been exploring for a bit for any high-quality articles or blog posts in this kind of area . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this website. Reading this information So i'm satisfied to exhibit that I've an incredibly excellent uncanny feeling I came upon exactly what I needed. I such a lot unquestionably will make certain to don?t omit this web site and provides it a look on a relentless basis.

    Feel free to visit my blog; fred marvin associates

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm it looks like your blog ate my first comment (it was super
    long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your
    blog. I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to everything. Do you have any recommendations for first-time blog writers? I'd really appreciate it.


    my web site :: coaching youth baseball

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know this site presents quality depending content and
    extra data, is there any other web page which offers these kinds of stuff in quality?


    Feel free to visit my page: mazda 16x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a information of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable experience about unpredicted feelings.



    Take a look at my page ... mazdaspeed motorsports

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's enormous that you are getting thoughts from this paragraph as well as from our discussion made here.

    my website: baseball radar

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for taking time to leave a word or two, I would love to know what you think ! :)