30 January 2012

dyeing whith what I had

I haven't been out for picking things for dyeing for ages, or so it seems. It's been practically four months though ! I had three exhausted dyebaths in the fridge, which took kind of lot of room (a total of 5 bottles of 1,5 liters) So I decided that, since I can't go pick natural material for dyeing anytime soon (very busy hubby), I shall use what I had. It had to be doubly interesting. First, it would give me some room back in the fridge, and also it would mean I am actually dyeing something, which I was kind of eager to.

I used 2 of the 3 dyebaths : avocadoe skins, and alder cones, both exhausted. I mordanted lots of bits & bobs yesterday afternoon, and I had other several small pieces to dye, so I ended my Sunday dyeing with avocadoe skins dyebath, and I started my new week dyeing with alder cones dyebath. It made me so happy, it was kind of silly ! Since I knew it wouldn't give much color (since they were exhausted & since I used almost exclusively cotton fibers, which don't take well), I decided to use rusted bits & pieces that I've been collecting here & there.

I let the avocadoe skin bath soak overnight, with the rusted bits in the jar, it's been rinced,  and is now almost dry. The alder dybath is still soaking. The avocado + iron (rusted bits) gave a greyish pale pinkish hue. (kind of hard to describe), and the alder promise to be more interesting. I hope I'll get to pick some alder cones before they are all gone (maybe they already are ...), it seems to be a good source of color, and the material can be stocked easily (cones won't rot or something, they're already dry !)

dyeing with what I had on hand

avocadoe skins dyed (exhausted dyebath + iron), drying

dyeing with what I had on hand

alder cones dyeing (exhausted dyebath + iron), soaking

I am really looking forward to rincing this one, letting it dry & see what it gave. In the meantime, I really shall work with what I have already, which is a lot.

All in all, I was very satisfied to be decluttering my fridge & to be dyeing again ! Here's to a satisfying start to the week !! :) Thanks for reading & stopping by !

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful wip. You make me remember that I really must finish the dye project I have started. Also with things I've had on hand! You're an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alder is such a wonderful dyeing source, and you can use the cones all year round. You don't have to pick them, after a bit of wind you can gather them under the trees. Right now they are so easy too see here, dark against the snow.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for taking time to leave a word or two, I would love to know what you think ! :)